Health care professionals such as GPs, specialists, are ultimately responsible for managing and delivering health care services. They are a critical input in for the health care system. Increasingly, high-end technology plays a major role through medical equipment and new pharmaceuticals. All these different inputs come together while treating patients and are organized in dedicated provider organizations such as health centres and hospitals. It is at this level that policies and investments in health care are being implemented and become concrete. It is at this level that the experience of OHC in policy development and health infrastructure is unique.
Below steps in the development of a project are the essential elements to a successful project realisation:
- An initial needs assessment is made. This does not only focuses on the needs of the population in the catchment area, but also takes into account the already available infrastructure, both public and private;
- Next step in the development is the feasibility study that will address matters as strategic development and functional planning;
- With this information, we can start to do the facility & equipment planning. This is the necessary step in defining what infrastructure is needed to realize the goals set in the strategic development. Additionally operational planning can be elaborated;
- Above outcome will give us the information for the investment budget and operational costs.
- Next step is to structure the financing. This will typically cover the investment costs and working capital.
- Now starts the implementation phase. A crucial part is the planning of the execution. This will guarantee a good implementation and proper health facility.
- Procurement services of medical technology is an integral part of the services provided by OHC